The islet with the lighthouse. The lighthouse was built In the mid-19th century. For one hundred years, the lighthouse keepers–sometimes with their families in tow–lived on the island, and there were times when they were actively involved in rescuing the victims of shipwrecks. Twice a week, a boat brought them supplies from the Port d’Alcudia, but at times they were isolated when ships were unable to sail due to bad weather, and their staples would run out.
During the Spanish Civil War (1936–39), the population increased when soldiers were posted to guard and defend the coastline with three machine gun nests that were built on the islet. Later on, in 1960, when the lantern system was automated, the islet was uninhabited again.